Wednesday, May 12, 2010

the plan

well...its pretty much settled now. In order to stop incurring any more monthly storage bills, i have arranged for my pod to be delivered next Tuesday. i have a good friend in Baltimore who was looking for a roommate to help pay the rent. he has agreed to let me stay at his place for a short time, so that i can unload my stuff, sort through, and sell away. Because i need to sign a waiver form when they drop off my goods, i am going to need to get to Baltimore in the next week. My plan is to leave on Sunday and get there Monday night. It's quite a drive...around 20 hours if i remember correctly. i am definitely not looking forward to this. My calculations seem to suggest it will cost around $300 oneway for gas, an overnight hotel stay, and tolls. i didn't really consider flying because: 1.i want to be able to get around when i'm in Baltimore, 2. i want to be able to bring back at least a carload of items if i wish, and 3. my dog is coming with me. Once you add in the costs for him to fly, (it was $200 the last time we did a couple years ago) as well as baggage costs, driving seems to be around the same price. the flexibility of the car wins in this instance, even though it seems to be a painful waste of two days.

i'm going to use the remaining week to get a head start on my sale. i have been tossing around different ideas in my head. At the moment this is my list of things i plan to do:
1. upload some pictures/ links of some of the IKEA furniture that i have; Since i don't have access to my actual pieces, i'm going to use what i find online just to give people an idea of what i have.
2. put an ad on Baltimore's craigslist to kind of let people know that i'm starting to sell stuff. it would be nice to get some of the larger things sold straight away so that i don't have to worry about moving them inside
3. design some lil cards to hand out to people stating this website
4. do some research about ebay and see if this might be worth my time for all my CD's, DVD's, and books. i've heard that this is a good site because you only need to enter in the ISBN numbers. i'm also going to look at some other options such as ebay classifieds formerly kijiji, amazon, and others.
5. research the cost for a Paypal account that will allow buyers to pay me by credit card
5. look into what to do with dinosaur computers and mobile phones and if recycling is the best option
6. look into consignment or secondhand shops that might be interested in clothing
7. post a list of CD's i'm selling
8. keep racking my mind and searching online to get some other ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment